Chamblee Charter High School Attendance Office
Gail Barnes, Assistant Principal – Attendance
Vivian Johnson, Attendance Secretary
• ALWAYS send a note or an email to Vivian_C_Johnson@dekalbschools.org
when your student returns from any absence, with the date (s) absent and your student’s firs and last name. We will not accept notes after two weeks from date of absence and the absence will remain unexcused.
• You may have your student return the Attendance Note Form to the Attendance Office or email as it as an attachment.
• You may IGNORE the automated DCSD phone recording if you have already sent a note to the school. Unfortunately, you will also receive the recording when your student is marked absent due to a school activity. No need for concern—the attendance records will be updated to reflect the school activity (SA).
• A DOCTOR’s NOTE is required for 3 or more consecutive days of absence.
• When absences (whether full day or part day) become chronic, students are expected to bring a DOCTOR’S NOTE verifying the reason for the absence.
• Please send a note to the Attendance Office in the morning and your student will receive a pass to leave class and to meet you in the Attendance Office at the specific time.
• You will be required to present your photo ID in order to check out your student.
• Students may NEVER leave school without checking out through the attendance office.
• There is no need to come in with your student if s/he is checking in. Just send a note from you or the doctor’s office to the attendance Office, and we will give your student a pass to class.
• Students arriving at school between classes must still check in through the Attendance Office.
• Students start out each semester with no tardies on their records. The warning bell rings at 8 am and at 8:10 am. Class begins promptly at 8:15 am. If your student is not seated in class at 8:15, your student is tardy to school. Students will report to class, and the teacher will mark the student ‘late-unexcused’. Tardies will also be recorded by teachers for classes throughout the day. Excessive tardiness will result in disciplinary consequences and loss of privileges.
• You may leave items/messages in the Attendance office, but it will be your student’s responsibility to check for them. We will not interrupt instructional time to deliver messages or items, unless it is an emergency.
Certificate of Enrollment
A Certificate of Enrollment is required for both the learner’s permit and driver’s license. The student must pay $3 for the notary fee and complete the form. Turnaround is usually a day. The ADAP certificate is only required for the driver’s license. We are able to print the certificate only if the student took Health at Chamblee Charter High School.